So…the part I didn’t mention about my trip to Chicago was that while I was there I got the flu (or something like that). Friday night after we went to the Navy Pier, we went back to our rooms, hung out for a bit, and then went to sleep. I woke up at 5AM again, but this time I didn’t feel so hot. I haven’t been *sick* (read: vomit) since 1st grade, so this was a totally foreign feeling to me. I got the hint that something wasn’t right… and let’s just say my hint was correct. I spent all of Saturday flat out in my bed in our hotel room – missing an entire day of the Conference. I couldn’t ingest anything. I was sucking on ice chips for a few hours. Finally I decided to be brave and try water again. Progress. The entire day was a fiasco. I felt like crap, the hotel didn’t have ginger ale, pepto bismol, NOTHING. Let’s just say my mother had a few choice words with Management over the phone.

I was stable enough for the plane trip home on Sunday, but I definitely slept for most of it. When I got back to my room, I went right back to sleep and didn’t go to class on Monday or Tuesday. I wasn’t sure if I was contagious or anything, so I figured it would be best for me to stay in my room and not get anyone else sick. My doctor said I wasn’t contagious, but on Wednesday I still wasn’t ready to go back to classes. SO…today was my first day back. I felt absolutely fine all day, so I think whatever it was is gone now. Everyone around me is starting to get sick though (even though I had no contact with them – so it’s not my fault!)

I think this little respite was good for me. I had been in a bit of a rut in terms of schoolwork. It’d been a while since we had a break and the work was just getting so monotonous. A few days just completely ignoring it kind of gave me a bit of a reboot. I’m not totally thrilled about doing my work still, but at least now I have the motivation to at least start it.

This weekend is going to involve a LOT of catchup work, a lot of studying because I have 2 prelims next week, and some general housekeeping. Nothing fancy, but that’s OK. I need a no-frills weekend after these last few weeks of travel and insanity. Next weekend Ashleigh is coming and I’ll probably be going back home with her on Sunday to start my Thanksgiving break early. I can’t wait for that time off!!!

There are a few other things I wanted to write about, but I can’t remember them right now. Oh well, gives me more reason for another blog!

P.S. Check out my flickr for some pics from Chicago!

Until next time…