I somehow managed to find myself entering 2014 with a completely clean slate. Aside from my apartment lease, I have literally no obligations at the moment. To be fair, I don’t have a steady income either, but that’s a risk/variable I’ve grown strangely comfortable with in the last few years.
The biggest frustration I’ve been battling lately is my lack of personal and professional growth. I feel like I’ve plateaued in some ways. So my mission for 2014 is to address that: to challenge the way I currently solve problems, communicate, think, react, and exist both in my life and in my career.
When I think about the year to come, I have pretty high expectations. I want to look back at myself a year from now any not even recognize the shy, introverted person staring back at me.
Because I’m a list-y person, I’ve come up with a set of guidelines to help push myself outside of my comfort zone:
- Do you feel like the dumbest person in the room? No? Find another room.
- Does it scare you? Do it anyway.
- Are you worried what other people will think? Stop that. Now.
- Are past experiences affecting your decisions? Let go.
- Are you doing something just because you've always done it? Challenge it before deciding to do it again.
- Are you letting your head overpower your heart? Try following your heart this time.
Combined with my goals for 2014, I think the foundation is set for a great year ahead. Now it’s all about execution.
Are there any rules you try to live by? I’d love to hear them!
This post also appears on Medium.